I put together a video with 5 quick tips on how to hit the backhand volley drop in squash. The tips are:
- Get your racket up – be prepared for the shot early and be ready to come down on the shot
- Step in – you want to step in with your front foot so that your momentum is going to the front wall or side wall
- Stay balanced – keep both feet planted and use your off hand to help balance yourself
- Cut the ball – use the strings to put a little cut or underspin on the ball so it stays short
- Accelerate through the shot – make sure you HIT through the shot for greater accuracy, as opposed to decelerating
If there’s one thing I wish I’d added to this video, it’s that you should follow through with your swing to the spot on the front wall that you’re aiming for. That spot should be about halfway between ball and the sidewall.